Thursday, April 5, 2018

Party Sized Scalloped Potatoes

Well, I made way too many!

I don't know what I was thinking, but I filled the monster big roasting pan about half-way full of scalloped potatoes... with cheese.... for about 12 adults.

And it wasn't like the only thing we were eating on Easter Sunday, either.

Oh my stars, it was a lot of potatoes, but you know what? Scalloped potatoes are one of those dishes folks around here like to warm up the day after.... and kind of like Thanksgiving turkey, the day after that, too!

So here's the monster sized recipe and feel free to cut in half... or quarters.... Or just buy one of those funny boxes of dried potatoes. :)

Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes

7 lbs. potatoes, peeled, washed and sliced thin (This is where I love my Cuisinart food processor!)

1 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
6-8 cups milk (I used 7, I like my casserole a little moister.)
1 onion chopped small
1 1/2 lbs. ham or cooked pork, chopped
2 Tablespoons granulated garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Whisk in flour. Add milk, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat until mixture almost boils and thickens. Add cheese.


 Let cheese melt. Remove from heat.

Spray bottom and sides of large roasting pan. Pour enough cheese sauce to cover bottom. Layer about a 1/3 inch of potatoes over sauce. Sprinkle with ham.


Repeat until all potatoes and sauce are used up. Cover tightly and bake at 400 degrees for about two hours... or at a lower temperature for a longer time. Now that sounds funny, but I slow-baked them at 275 for about 3 hours (pretending they were in a slow cooker), then 400 degrees for the last hour and they came out great.


And then of course it was busy and Easter and I forgot to take a final picture!  But it was delicious and crowd-pleasing.....

And we had a great Easter egg hunt.... and wonderful desserts.... triple berry cheesecake and coconut cake (1/2 chocolate, 1/2 white, I think I'll call it "DIVERSITY" Cake! :) and apple nut strudel....

The links to those recipes are right there for you!

And we had cupcakes for the littles, decorated by MacKenzie!




Aren't they adorable? Lambs and bunnies!!!!

And Logan wanted you to know that he kept busy, too... building cool transforming creatures out of Legos:



And we're making bathroom progress! Yay! Tub #4 was the lucky tub!!!!

It's in and tiling is being done and the floor is poured.... over the heated wire.... and then the floor goes in tomorrow!

Oh, happy days!!!!!



That's the original corner beam of the house, we're leaving it exposed for interest' sake....

And a wall, almost ready for painting and wainscoting....


The first tile and a soap box..... Sweet!!!!

We're getting there. And we're so excited.

So that's it from the farm. Crazy windy today, power outages, downed trees, but we got to celebrate a 10 year old grandson's birthday.... and have cake.... and welcome six brand new baby kitties to the farm on Holy Saturday... more on them later!

Have a cuppa on the house... and so glad you could stop by!

Ruth Logan Herne is living her dream of writing sweet, memorable stories that grab heart... and soul. Follow her on Twitter, friend her on facebook, or just stop by here and chat any old time... these authors love what they do, and they love sharing what they know! No matter what part of the country they come from!

8 comments:

  1. Ruthy you are not alone in the "why did I make so much club?" I am the youngest of 5 kids and 3 of them being brothers so I never really learned to cook for 2. I love making soup with what I have and it is ALWAYS too much. I believe my husband had to tell me he needed a soup break because we were eating so much leftover soup! Sometimes I make extra on purpose so we have extra. Especially when it is a favorite because then we can both take good stuff. Yay for tub #4 being the one. Just think of it this way.....God decided the other ones just were not right and he wanted you to have the perfect tub in your new barhroom you worked so hard for. So well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love the way you think! You are the best... and look at you, bein' up late! :) I agree, when you're in the habit of cooking for a crowd, downscaling is tough. And I enjoy cooking for a holiday but I'm kind of over it for regular days... If I can make a pot of soup or stew or red sauce that lasts two or three days??? VICTORY! :) And my old stand-by tuna sandwiches, a great meal in a pinch.

    I'm so glad you stayed up late... what a delightful voice to wake up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was up a bit late, but it was only about 11pm our time :) that is what happens when you are getting a new sofa AND having company in the same weekend! Can you say deep cleaning house? Tuna sandwiches sounds amazing! Last night we had easy build your own sub with a can of soup. If I can avoid the idea of not cooking and going out I call that a win!

      Delete
  3. Hooray on the bathtub! That tile looks very similar to what we used on one of our bathrooms. And you will love that niche for soap and shampoo. No more bottles tucked in the every corner of the tub. Your heated floor is going to be amazing, too. I can't wait to see the final pictures.

    You know, I've never made scalloped potatoes. Probably because my boys at mashed potato fiends. I can add cheese and bacon to them, but they still want those taters mashed. Go figure.

    And I love, love, love those cupcakes. Why are there so many cute cupcake ideas for Easter? Oh, and new kitties. They could come play with the little calf I wrote about yesterday. They'd all have so much fun.

    Oh, and tell Logan his Lego creature is pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw the calf birth!!!! I envy you!!!!! I get so excited about baby anythings, Mindy!!!

      I had to finish taxes this week and hand the figures to my son so I've been in absentia.... But they're done except for writing the check!!!!

      Delete
  4. Ruthy, I can't believe you're on tub #4!! But I'm so thankful it's finally progressing. You'll have warm floors about the time the weather gets hot. LOL

    Love this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love scalloped potatoes. And you're right - they're even better the next day. :-)

    So glad you finally found a tub match!

    And baby kitties...sigh. They are so sweet, aren't they? And you have plenty of eager hands to make sure they're socialized and friendly when they go to their new homes.

    But we won't try to socialize Mindy's calf. He's cute, but I don't think I'd want to make a house pet out of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay -- there's a bathtub!!!! That's a reason to celebrate spring right there.

    I love scalloped potatoes but those cute cupcakes stole the show for me. Adrobs! Someone very talented decorated them! I'm jealous. Mine always just look like blobs. :-)

    So 7 lbs of potatoes is a lot of potatoes even for this Irish girl. Haven't made scalloped potatoes in years...not much point when you're cooking for only one but I think you've inspired me to do a mini batch and enjoy the leftovers for a few days. Yum.

    ReplyDelete